Jeffrey Dahmer is one of America’s most infamous serial killers. Known for eatings parts of some of his victims, he was nicknamed the Cannibal Killer and the Milwaukee Cannibal. Oxygen will premiere a two-part series “Dahmer on Dahmer: A Serial Killer Speaks” which promises a new details and unseen interviews on the case, on November 11 at 7pm ET/PT. The killer took the lives of 17 men and boys between 1978 and 1991. We’ve compiled a list of some of his most disturbing quotes.
1. “I had these obsessive desires and thoughts wanting to control them [victims], to–I don't know how to put it–possess them permanently,” he said during an Inside Edition interview.
2. “I had a box in my bedroom closet and it contained the mummified head and genitals of a young man i met in one of the bars down in Milwaukee,” Dahmer told MSNBC while sitting next to his father.
3. “I could completely control a person—a person that I found physically attractive, and keep them with me as long as possible, even if it meant just keeping a part of them,” Dahmer explained to Dateline NBC about his process.
4. “Your honor, it is over now,” Dahmer said during a closing statement at his murder trial. "This has never been a case of trying to get free. I didn't ever want freedom. Frankly, I wanted death for myself. This was a case to tell the world that I did what I did not for reasons of hate, I hated no one. I know I was sick or evil, or both. Now I believe I was sick. The doctors have told me about my sickness and now I have some peace.”
5. “It doesn’t matter, Mom. I don’t care if something happens to me,” he said to his mother over the phone from jail, alluding to death.
6. “It's a process, it doesn't happen overnight, when you depersonalize another person and view them as just an object,” the serial killer told Inside Edition. “An object for pleasure and not a living breathing human being. It seems to make it easier to do things you shouldn't do.”
7. "The killing was a means to an end,” Dahmer told Stone Phillips on Dateline NBC. “That was the least satisfactory part. I didn't enjoy doing that. That's why I tried to create living zombies with uric acid in the drill [to the head], but it never worked. No, the killing was not the objective. I just wanted to have the person under my complete control, not having to consider their wishes, being able to keep them there as long as I wanted.”
8. “To this day I don't know what started it [the murders],” he admitted to Inside Edition. “The person to blame is sitting right across from you. It's the only person. Not parents, not society, not pornography. I mean, those are just excuses.”
9. “If a person doesn’t think there is a God to be accountable to, then—then what's the point of trying to modify your behaviour to keep it within acceptable ranges?,” Dahmer told Stone Phillips during a Dateline NBC conversation. "That's how I thought anyway. I always believed the theory of evolution as truth, that we all just came from the slime. When we, when we died, you know, that was it, there is nothing.”
[Photos: Getty Images]
Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content.