1. Hollywood Glam Aaliyah often wore her hair swooped over her left eye. The signature look—which thousands of fans copied--gave her a mysterious and mature air far beyond her teenage years. The look was inspired by Veronica Lake, a classic film star and favorite of Aaliyah’s mother.
2. Just a Peek Aaliyah rarely showed skin, but she kept it sexy by showing off her incredible abs. The dancer flashed her toned tummy in tanks, cropped-tops and belly chains.
3. Tomboy Temptress Not every woman is a girly girl... and Aaliyah was definitely more of a tomboy during most of her career. She took a page from the hip-hop style book (think baggy jeans, exposed boxers, bandanas) and incorporated it into her own look. It was no surprise that she became a model for Tommy Hilfiger in the ‘90s.
4. Keep It Natural We live in an era of extreme contouring and lip injections, so it’s hard to believe that back in the day, less was definitely more. Aaliyah kept it gorgeous with natural, fresh-faced makeup. At the 2000 MTV Video Music Awards, the singer looked like she was barely wearing any makeup.
5. Switch It Up Aaliyah is a tomboy. Aaliyah has one look. Nope. Just when you thought you knew her, the singer switched up her style in the 2000s. She ditched the baggy jeans and showed off her elegant, grown-up style in dresses and heels.
6. No Shade “I'll be waiting there with my trench, my locs, my hat/Just so I'm low key,” Aaliyah sang on “Are You that Somebody.” Her locs, or dark sunglasses, were a signature accessory at red carpets and events, as well as in most of her music videos.