Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Snapped

'I Did It': Woman Murders Husband While His 3 Sons Roast Marshmallows Outside

Angelina Hamrick and her husband, Jason, were in the middle of a heated divorce when he was shot to death.

By Benjamin H. Smith

The United States Armed Forces took Jason Hamrick overseas where he served his country with honor. While on deployment, though, he would meet the woman who would take his life. 

How to Watch

Watch Snapped on Oxygen Sundays 6/5c and next day on Peacock. Catch up on the Oxygen App.

Born in 1977, Jason grew up in northern Indiana. After high school, he joined the Air Force and became an airplane mechanic. He loved to travel, and while stationed in South Korea, he met 23-year-old Angelina Vladimirovna, according to "Snapped," airing Sundays at 6/5c on Oxygen. 

Born in 1986, Angelina grew up in Vladivostok, Russia, near the Chinese and North Korean borders. Her father owned a nightclub in Seoul, South Korea, where she worked as a cocktail waitress. She and Jason soon fell in love.

Jason’s tour in South Korea ended in early 2009, though Angelina made plans to join him in America after learning she was pregnant. She was still living in Russia when their oldest son was born. The family was reunited in March 2010 and Jason and Angelina married soon after. For the next several years, the Hamricks moved around the United States and welcomed two more boys.

In 2015, Jason was assigned to an Air Force recruiting office in Cincinnati while the family lived 40 miles away in rural Bethel, Ohio. Angelina’s transition to Midwestern housewife did not come easy. She complained to friends about feeling isolated and lonely. Jason considered retiring from the military in order to spend more time with his family. 

By January 2018, the Hamricks' marriage was in trouble. Looking to reignite their spark, Angelina and Jason went on a vacation cruise while the kids stayed with his mother and stepfather, Amy and John Oliver. Joining the Hamricks on their cruise were fellow airman Michael Drew Clark, who worked with Jason, and his wife. Unfortunately, the trip did little to solve their problems and Jason filed for divorce in March 2018. 

Jason and Angelina continued living under the same roof, albeit in different bedrooms. From the outside, it seemed a working relationship, but behind closed doors the couple butted heads. 

Jason Hamrick featured in Snapped

On Sunday, June 30, 2019, Amy and John Oliver were getting ready to go to a family birthday party in Butler, Indiana. Jason and his boys were expected to join them but one of Amy’s grandsons called that morning.  

“Jason’s boys contacted me and wanted to know if I had seen their dad …They said, ‘Well, I seen him on Friday and his cars are here but he’s not,'” Amy Oliver told “Snapped.”

The Olivers asked the Clermont County Sheriff’s Office to perform a welfare check at Jason’s home. When deputies arrived, Angelina seemed surprised to learn Jason was missing, saying they often went days without seeing each other. 

Angelina consented to a search of the Hamricks’ home. No signs of foul play were detected. But while Jason’s car sat in the driveway, his phone was missing, as was a .9mm pistol he kept in a handgun safe. 

A neighbor of the Hamricks called 911 on the night of June 30 to say they had returned home to find a man laying unresponsive in a ditch at the end of their driveway. He was pronounced dead at the scene and later identified as 42-year-old Jason Hamrick, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer newspaper. 

“We discovered what appeared to be a head wound. We suspected it to be a gunshot,” Clermont County Sheriff’s Detective Mike Robinson told “Snapped.”

Jason’s body had been hastily covered with grass clippings and appeared to have been dragged there from somewhere else. A .9mm slug was later removed from Hamrick’s jaw, indicating he was shot with his own gun. 

When informed of Jason’s homicide, Angelina seemed nonplussed. 

“How did it happen,” she asks in her videotaped statement, which was obtained by “Snapped.” “Is there blood? Please don’t show me blood. I’m gonna pass out.”

Angelina claimed she last saw Jason on the night of Friday, June 28. She said the family had a bonfire outside their home and that she later took the kids out for pizza. When she returned, Jason’s bedroom door was shut and she assumed he was asleep.  

When asked if she was seeing anyone besides her husband, she replied, “Uh, yeah…His name is Drew…it’s my husband’s ex-coworker.” 

“Angelina and Michael Clark, whom she refers to as Drew, began their affair in October of 2017. They basically meet at one of Jason’s work functions, they get drunk and they have sex and their relationship starts from there,” prosecutor Katherine Terpstra told “Snapped.”

Angelina said she was in love with Clark and that he was also in the process of getting divorced. 

Detectives traveled to Indiana to speak with the Olivers and the three Hamrick boys, who were staying with them. Amy said Jason had confided in her about the affair. Though Clark had been reassigned to Texas, the Hamricks’ cruise in 2018 was really a way for Angelina to make time with Michael. 

“I believe that’s when he found out she was having the affair … March of 2018 he filed for divorce and that’s when things really got wicked,” said Amy.

Angelina petitioned to have Jason removed from the home, claiming his presence was a disturbance. He was ordered to pay $1,700 a month in child support, which emptied out his retirement savings. But Jason’s fortunes began to turn in February 2019 when he learned Angelina often left the boys, ages 10, 7, and 2, home alone to go out at night. 

Angelina was twice found in contempt of court for violating the terms of her visitations with her children, and in interviews, the boys alleged their mother was physically abusive, according to Cincinnati ABC-affiliate WKRC.   

“That became an issue in the divorce and is actually the main reason why the custody switched back to Jason and Jason got residency of the marital residence again,” said Terpstra.

Angelina was unable to get a job or support herself and began living in her car. Jason eventually took pity on her and allowed her to move back into the home. 

Detectives spoke with the two oldest Hamrick boys, who said they were outside roasting marshmallows on the night they last saw their father. Their parents were both inside when they heard a loud bang, which they assumed was someone lighting off firecrackers. 

Having been outside for several hours, one of the boys went to the house to get a glass of water. His mother, however, wouldn’t let him inside. 

“What he sees in that moment is his father laying on the couch, seemingly asleep, with a blanket or a pillow covering his face,” prosecutor Robert Barbato told “Snapped.”   

Detectives spoke with Patricia Hornak, a neighbor of the Hamricks who had seen Angelina on the night of June 28. She was complaining about the divorce proceedings, with a major hearing due the following week. 

“She said to me that night, ‘The courts are really giving me no choice but to either take the kids and go back to Russia or to kill him,'” Hornak told “Snapped.”

Detectives tracked down Michael Clark in Texas, who was forthcoming about the affair with Angelina and said they had discussed killing Jason numerous times, but he didn’t take it seriously. Cell phone records showed he was in Texas at the time of the murder.  

Clark agreed to try and record a phone call with Angelina but couldn’t get her to talk about the murder. He then flew to Ohio and met with her in a hotel room that investigators had bugged. Angelina was immediately suspicious and patted him down after arriving at the hotel room. Clark later stormed out and Angelina destroyed two cameras she found in the room. 

Believing Clark tipped off Angelina, he was asked to take a polygraph test. When asked if he knew who killed Jason Hamrick, he answered no. The test, however, indicated he was lying. When confronted with his test results, Clark admitted speaking on the phone with Angelina on the night of the murder. 

“Angelina had told him that she did it while he was sleeping on the couch and that there was a large mess,” Clermont County Sheriff’s Major B.J. Boerger told “Snapped.”

“He tells her to get rid of the body. She tells him, ‘I’m going to go take the boys to get pizza and then I’m going to go take care of this,'" said Terpstra.      

Following his confession, Michael Clark was charged with conspiracy to commit aggravated murder. In exchange for testifying against Angelina, his charges were lowered to obstruction of justice and he was sentenced to six months in prison. 

Angelina Hamrick was charged with aggravated murder, for which she was convicted in April 2021. She was sentenced to life in prison, according to WKRC, and will not be eligible for parole until 2052, when she will be 65 years old.  

For more on this case and others like it, watch "Snapped," airing Sundays at 6/5c on Oxygen or stream episodes here.

Read more about: