Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Snapped

Woman Admits To Killing 2 Boyfriends At Her Farm — But Did She Kill More Men?

When investigators searched Sheila LaBarre's home, they found hundreds of strange audio conversations with various men.

By Benjamin H. Smith

Sheila LaBarre forced her boyfriends to admit to crimes they never committed — then murdered them.

How to Watch

Watch Snapped on Oxygen Sundays 6/5c and next day on Peacock. Catch up on the Oxygen App.

Born Sheila Kaye Bailey in Fort Payne, Alabama in 1958, she was the youngest of six children, but it was not a happy home she grew up in. Her father was allegedly a violent alcoholic. Her sister, Lynn Noojin, later testified she witnessed Sheila being sexually abused as a child, according to New Hampshire’s Portsmouth Herald newspaper. 

As a teenager, Sheila dreamed of being a model or country music singer. But her personal life and she struggled with mental health, according to "Snapped," airing Sundays at 6/5c on Oxygen.

Then, in 1987, Sheila answered a personal ad placed by 61-year-old widower Wilfred "Bill" LaBarre. She later moved to Epping, New Hampshire, to live with the wealthy chiropractor on his 150-acre horse farm. With her Southern accent and brazen personality, Sheila stuck out in the small New England town. Though she loved working with animals, life on the farm was far from tranquil.  

“I think Sheila and Wilfred LaBarre’s relationship was more tumultuous than anything else. The police department would be involved several times with domestic disputes,” former Epping Police Sgt. Sean Gallagher told “Snapped.” 

In August 1995, Sheila married Wayne Ennis, who lived with her and Wilfred on the farm. The marriage was rocky, according to The Eagle Tribune, and both accused each other of abuse before divorcing in 1996. 

Though they never married, Sheila used LaBarre’s last name and claimed she was his common-law wife. When he died in 2000 at the age of 74, she inherited everything. Wilfred’s children tried to contest his will but were unsuccessful.

Following Wilfred’s death, Sheila looked for love on phone chat lines. In February 2006, she met 24-year-old Kenneth “Kenny” Countie Jr. Countie was born in 1981 and grew up in Tewksbury, Massachusetts. He was mentally disabled but lived a full life thanks to the loving support of his family. 

Sheila and Kenny’s first date was on Valentine’s Day 2006. Just days later, he moved to Epping to live with her and work on the farm.  

A month later, Countie’s mother, Carolyn Lodge, contacted the Epping Police Department. No one had heard from her son in over a month. 

“On March 23, 2006, Carolyn Lodge had called Sheila LaBarre to check on her son and found out that Kenneth was no longer at the house. Sheila believed that Kenneth had gone back to Massachusetts,” said Gallagher.  

Authorities arrived at LaBarre’s farm on the night of March 24. The lights were out and the only illumination came from a large burn pile on the ground. After knocking on the door of the main house and getting no answer, officers examined the fire.  

“In the fire, there was what appeared to be a bone. As a police officer, the sense really kicks in that something is very seriously wrong,” said Gallagher. 

Afraid that LaBarre or Countie were in danger, officers entered the main house. They stopped when they heard an angry voice calling out from behind them. 

“Sheila comes down the road and starts screaming immediately, ‘What are you doing?’” Epping Police Capt. Richard Cote told “Snapped.”

LaBarre said she was out shopping and had just returned home. When asked about Countie’s whereabouts, she said he left days earlier and she hadn’t heard from him since. 

“That’s when I asked her what the bone in the fire pit was from. She immediately stated, ‘Well, that’s a rabbit or a pedophile,'” said Gallagher.

Sheila LaBarre featured in Snapped

When asked what she meant, LaBarre denied her previous statement. Concerned for Countie’s safety, Gallagher asked if they could remove the bone found in the burn pile. LaBarre refused and demanded police leave her property. 

The following day, Epping police obtained a search warrant for LaBarre’s farm. When they arrived they found LaBarre kneeling in front of the burn pit, covered in ash. The bone was nowhere to be found, but LaBarre did hand over a .38 caliber handgun. 

“We had asked her if she had any other weapons. She said, ‘No.’ She exposed her breasts to show us she had no weapons. It was very, very strange,” said Gallagher. 

When asked what happened to Countie, LaBarre pointed to a small bag sitting on a lawn chair and answered, “He’s in that bag,” as heard in police recordings obtained by “Snapped.” 

“When we looked in the bag, it appeared to be full of bone fragments,” said Gallagher. 

LaBarre was brought down to the police station to make a statement. She claimed that after living with Countie, he admitted to being a pedophile.

“He confessed this to me, that he has raped numerous children … I said ‘You’re a pedophile,'" LaBarre says in her videotaped interview, which was obtained by “Snapped.”

The allegations, however, were false.

“There is no evidence and not even a sliver of an investigation against Kenneth Countie for ever being a pedophile,” stated Gallagher. 

When asked about the bones found in the burn pile at her home, LaBarre replied, “I don’t have the answer … I’m only the one being accused.”

After being interviewed for several hours, LaBarre was released from custody, pending further investigation. The ongoing search of her property found more bone fragments, along with hedge clippers and a knife handle in two burn pits. The bone chips were sent off to the University of Maine for testing. 

“Within a matter of four hours, it came back that those bone fragments were indeed human,” said Gallagher. 

Inside LaBarre’s home, investigators found blood spatter on the walls. Some of the stains were fresh, others covered with dust, indicating they had been there longer.  

“Literally, there was blood everywhere inside this home,” said Cote.

In addition, investigators found nearly 1,000 hours of audio recordings of conversations between Sheila and Wilfred, Countie, and other men. 

RELATED:  Couple Murders Store Manager Who Got Them Fired As Part Revenge, Part Black Friday Heist  

On the recordings, LaBarre is heard coercing her male visitors to confess to crimes of child abuse and pedophilia.  

On one tape LaBarre is heard questioning Countie about his fictional sex crimes. He sheepishly answers, “Yes,” and is later heard vomiting and crying, “Why, why, why?” according to court documents.  

LaBarre’s neighbors told investigators she was often seen in the company of different men in the years following Wilfred’s death.

“Neighbors had called about odd behavior, seeing men go down to the farm and then would see them being dropped off by Sheila at the end of the driveway, sometimes with bruises and markings on their body,” former Assistant Attorney General Kirsten Wilson told “Snapped.”

Among them was 37-year-old Michael Deloge of Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Deloge had struggled with addiction and homelessness before moving to the farm to live with LaBarre.  

Investigators found recordings Deloge made at LaBarre’s farm, where he accuses his mother of abuse.

“If it wasn’t for Sheila, I wouldn’t know half the things I know,” he says on the recordings, which were obtained by “Snapped.”

But Deloge told his mother he was afraid LaBarre was trying to kill him, according to The Eagle Tribune. In February 2005, his family received a letter from LaBarre’s address asking them not to contact the couple. When they next tried to get in touch with DeLonge, LaBarre said he had left.

The DNA found at LaBarre’s home was eventually matched to both Kenneth Countie and Michael Deloge, according to The Portsmouth Herald

An arrest warrant was issued for LaBarre on March 31, 2006. Authorities placed a BOLO alert for her after she left town, having withdrawn thousands in cash from her bank.

After receiving a tip from the public, Sheila LaBarre was apprehended on April 2, 2006 in Revere, Massachusetts, and charged with first-degree murder, according to The Standard-Times newspaper of New Hampshire. She had changed her appearance, cutting her hair and dying it red.

Sheila LaBarre would ultimately admit to murdering both Kenneth Countie and Michael Deloge but pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity, according to The Eagle Tribune.  

In June 2008, Sheila LaBarre was found sane and convicted on two counts of first-degree murder, reported The Portsmouth Herald. She was immediately sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. 

To this day, investigators are unsure how many men LaBarre killed. Some of the blood spatter found at her home could not be matched to either Countie or Deloge, nor could human toes found on her property, according to New Hampshire’s Union Leader newspaper. 

For more on this case and others like it, watch "Snapped," airing Sundays at 6/5c on Oxygen or stream episodes here.

Read more about: