Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
Ed Westwick, of “Gossip Girl” fame, has been cleared of all sexual assault charges.
The 31-year-old actor was formerly facing three separate cases of sexual assault, after being accused last year by multiple women. Westwick initially denied the accusations via social media, but later deleted the posts, according to The New York Daily News.
Los Angeles County prosecutors have since decided that they will not be filing criminal charges against Westwick, Deadline reports. According to a July 17 charge evaluation worksheet made public on Friday and obtained by Deadline, prosecutors declined to file charges on two of the alleged incidents due to insufficient evidence; in regards to the third case, prosecution was declined “due to unavailability of the victim,” after authorities were unsuccessful in their attempts to make contact with the alleged victim.
While Westwick was also accused of “unwanted touching” by others, the charge evaluation worksheet stated, those incidents fell outside of the statute of limitations.
Actress Kristina Cohen was the first to publicly accuse Westwick, alleging in a November 2017 Facebook post that the actor raped her after she fell asleep in a guest bedroom in his home in 2014. Another actress, Aurélie Wynn, made a similar claim shortly after Cohen’s post, alleging that Westwick raped her after a party that same year. A few days after that, a third woman, Rachel Eck, told Buzzfeed that Westwick assaulted her in a hotel room in Hollywood, also in 2014. A fourth woman, hairstylist Haley Camille Freedman, claimed that Westwick held her hostage as a sex slave for 48 hours, TMZ reports.
Westwick denied the allegations, Deadline reports.
Westwick’s attorney Blair Berk responded to news that her client would not be charged in a statement to Deadline on Friday.
“The evidence demonstrated from the start that each of the allegations made by the three women would be proven untrue,” Berk said. “It is a shame there are those who so publicly prejudged this case and that it took this long for Ed to be fully cleared.”
“I hope that those who made such quick judgment here not knowing anything about the abundant evidence of innocence in this case will hesitate next time before they so swiftly condemn before investigating the truth,” Berk continued.
Following the numerous public allegations against Westwick, the actor was dropped from the BBC series “Ordeal by Innocence” and Westwick’s role on the series “White Gold” was halted temporarily, Deadline reports.
[Photo: Ed Westwick arrives at the BBC America BAFTA Los Angeles TV Tea Party 2017 on September 16, 2017 in Beverly Hills, California. By Amanda Edwards/WireImage, via Getty Images]