Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
Johnny Depp’s Notorious B.I.G. Movie Pulled From Release After Assault Lawsuit
Gregg “Rocky” Brooks, a former location manager for “City of Lies,” says that Johnny Depp punched him twice in the ribcage.
Johnny Depp’s upcoming film about the murders of Notorious B.I.G. and Tupac Shakur has been pulled from release one month from its scheduled premiere, a month after a crew member filed a lawsuit against Depp alleging assault.
While “City of Lies” was originally slated to be released on Sept. 7, a spokesman for the distributor Global Road Entertainment told Variety on Monday that the film is now undated. The film, which stars Depp as a detective investigating the murders and Forest Whitaker as a journalist doing the same, is based on the Randall Sullivan book “LAbyrinth” and tells the story of the real-life investigation surrounding the deaths of the iconic 90s rappers.
The film has been surrounded by controversy, however, after a crew member accused Depp of assaulting him on the set of the film and took legal action against the actor last month.
Gregg “Rocky” Brooks, a location manager for “City of Lies,” alleges that he was fired from the film after Depp punched him twice during an argument in April about extending the shoot.
According to Brooks, he was told by director Brad Furman to tell Depp that they would have to wrap up filming for the day. Brooks says that Depp, who was directing two friends in an extended scene, responded aggressively, his breath “reeking of alcohol.” After Depp allegedly struck him twice in the ribcage, Brooks says that the 55-year-old actor then offered him $100,000 to hit him back. He declined, and Brooks contends that he was fired after he later refused to sign a document agreeing not to sue.
Brooks’ suit names Depp and Furman, as well as producer Miriam Segel, the Good Films company, and Depp’s own production company Infinitum Nihil, Oxygen.com reports.
Brooks’ suit isn’t the only legal battle Depp is facing, either.
Eugene Arreola and Miguel Sanchez, two of Depp’s former bodyguards, filed a lawsuit against Depp in May for unpaid wages, claiming that they were made to endure dangerous working conditions, according to People.
[Photo: Johnny Depp attends the “Murder On The Orient Express” world premiere at Royal Albert Hall on November 2, 2017 in London, England. By Dave J Hogan/Dave J Hogan/Getty Images]