Nick Carter is under investigation for sexual assault allegations. As People reported, former teen pop singer Melissa Schuman has filed a police report against Nick Carter, accusing him of rape.
The Santa Monica Police Department confirmed to the publication that a complaint against Carter was filed on Wednesday. The investigation is being conducted around an incident that happened in early 2003. The authorities would not confirm that the complaint came from Schuman, but she took to Twitter to share the news.
I’m finally doing what I thought I could no longer do. Im filing a police report #timesup #bebrave #bethechange #metoo thank you @RAINN for empowering me to take this step." RAINN is the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization.
A rep for Carter did not respond to request for comment from People.
Schuman was a singer in the teen group Dream. Earlier in November, she shared an alleged incident of sexual assault by Carter, of the Backstreet Boys, on her blog.
"I am about to share something that I’ve wanted to pretend never happened since I was 18. A burden I thought I’d have to carry for the rest of my life and suffer in silence," she said.
In her post, she said that she was working on a movie with Carter. She said he invited her to his house and proceeded to pressure her, despite knowing she did not want to have sex.
"He was aware that I was a virgin and that I held to religious conservative Christian values. I was vocal about this. Everyone knew about this, including those who repped me," she said.
She then described him forcing oral sex upon her.
"I told him thats not why I didn’t want to do it. He took off my pants anyway and then proceeded to perform oral sex on me. I told him to stop, but he didn’t. So I turned off the bathroom light so I wouldn’t see anything. He kept turning the light back on because he told me he wanted to look at me. I remember thinking at that point that maybe after this he will just stop, but he didn’t," she said.
She alleged that he forced her to perform oral sex on him, and then he forced himself inside her.
"It was done. The one thing I had held as a virtue had been ruined. I went limp, turned my head to my left and decided I would just go to sleep now. I wanted to believe it was some sort of nightmare I was dreaming up," she wrote.
Schuman said that she told her manager about the incident, but felt Carter and his team were powerful in the industry and could have curbed her career.
"I feel I have an obligation now to come forward with the hope and intention to inspire and encourage other victims to tell their story. We are stronger in numbers. If you are reading this and you have been assaulted, know you don’t have to be silent and you are not alone. I know it’s scary. I’m scared," she closed. "I believe you. I stand with you and together I hope we can bring light to things that have been lost in the darkness for so long."
At the time, Carter told People, “I am shocked and saddened by Ms. Schuman’s accusations. Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual. We went on to record a song and perform together, and I was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally. [...] This is the first that I am hearing about these accusations, nearly two decades later. It is contrary to my nature and everything I hold dear to intentionally cause someone discomfort or harm.”
[Photos: Getty Images]