Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Florida Man Allegedly Shot Ex-Girlfriend 15 Times For Not Returning Calls Or Texts

Carlos Lemont Jones II allegedly told police that he woke up that morning and decided to kill Sha'Dayla Johnson because he was angry she was ignoring him after their break-up.

By Caitlin Schunn
Exes and Lovers Killed By Jealousy

A Florida man allegedly confessed that he shot his ex-girlfriend 15 times in the back because he was angry she refused to answer his texts or phone calls.

Carlos Lemont Jones II, 23, is charged with premeditated first-degree murder for the death of Sha’Dayla Johnson, 23, on Tuesday and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, according to a release from Melbourne Police.

RELATED: Georgia Man Allegedly Kidnapped South Carolina Woman, Raped Her For Months

Jones turned himself into Palm Bay police around 11:00 a.m. Tuesday and allegedly gave a full confession to police that he'd intentionally shot Johnson. Police say that he told them he wasn’t remorseful and that, if he had to do it again, he’d kill his ex-girlfriend again and her father as well, according to an arrest affidavit obtained by Oxygen.com.

Officers were dispatched to a home on Colbert Circle around 7:48 a.m. on Tuesday and found Johnson by a carport, shot several times in the back. She was taken to the hospital where she died.

A police handout of Carlos Lemont Jones

Johnson’s father, Torrance Clark — who lived at the home — told officers that his daughter left for work about 7:40 a.m. that morning, after which he heard a series of gunshots outside the living room window, according to the affidavit.

When Clark looked out the window, he said he saw Jones standing behind Johnson’s car looking in the direction of the house, adding that he was able to identify Jones because his daughter had been dating the man for the last five months. He said Jones' car had blocked his daughter's vehicle in the driveway.

Clark added that his daughter and Jones had been living together in an apartment but broke up two weeks prior to the shooting after an argument, according to the affidavit. Clark said Jones had been continuously calling and harassing Johnson to try and get back together with her, but that she ignored his calls and texts — including his last attempt, which had been on Monday afternoon.

A black Nissan sedan — similar to a vehicle owned by Jones — was seen on surveillance footage leaving Colbert Circle at 7:46 a.m., according to the arrest affidavit. At 8:06 a.m., a license plate reader near Interstate 95 near westbound U.S. 192 (less than eight miles away from Johnson's home) logged his vehicle.

Jones turned himself in after he received a call from his mother pleading with him to surrender, he told police.

Jones allegedly confessed that, when he woke up on Tuesday morning, he decided he was going to shoot and kill Johnson because she wasn’t responding to his calls or texts. He told officers he drove to her home at 7:30 a.m. in order to confront and kill her as she left to go to work, according to the arrest affidavit.

After they exchanged a few words, Johnson turned and tried to go back inside the house, Jones said he shot her in the back 15 times, police claim. He allegedly told police that he bought the gun and ammunition one week before he killed Johnson, claiming the gun was initially bought for self-defense.

Jones allegedly said that he drove back to his apartment after the shooting — which was about halfway between Johnson's home and where his car was captured on the license plate reader — and threw all of his clothing in a dumpster at the complex, according to the affidavit. Police say he told them that he then continued to Interstate 95 near westbound U.S. 192 and dumped the gun magazine out the passenger window on the northbound entrance ramp. From there, police say, he said he drove another 18 miles north to Nagle Drive in Rockledge and threw the gun in a storm drain. He allegedly drew the latter location for police on a map.

Police subsequently recovered clothes and the gun from the stated locations.

Jones is currently being held in the Brevard County Jail without bond, according to jail records reviewed by Oxygen.com. He made an initial court appearance on Wednesday, was subsequently assigned a public defender is due back in court for his arraignment on Jan. 19, according to court records.