Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Texas Man Accused Of Decapitating His Newlywed Wife In ‘Gruesome’ Crime

The victim, 21-year-old Anggy Diaz, had been working two jobs to try to help pay for her mom’s cancer treatment at the time of her death, friends say.

By Jill Sederstrom
Husbands Who Killed Their Wives

A Texas man has been accused of decapitating his newlywed wife just months after tying the knot in what authorities have described as a “gruesome” crime.

Jared James Dicus, 21, was arrested Tuesday after his parents stumbled upon the grisly scene around 4:18 p.m. that afternoon and called 911, according to a press conference held by Waller County Sheriff Troy Guidry.

“That’s the world we live in today and it’s a gruesome scene and both sides of these families are going to be altered by it,” Guidry said.

According to Guidry, Dicus and his wife—identified by multiple media outlets as 21-year-old Anggy Diaz—were living in a small home behind the home of Dicus’ parents at the time of the murder.

RELATED: Serial Killer Leonard Lake’s Wife Said She Thought He Was ‘Living This Very Active Fantasy’

Discus’ parents went to check on Diaz after growing concerned about some of their son’s behavior.

“They were inside their own house, their own residence, and were addressed by the suspect and when they saw something wasn’t feeling right for them, they approached the house (the newlywed couple) were living in and that’s when they found what they found,” Guidry said.

A police handout of Jared Dicus

Diaz had been decapitated.

“A portion of the body was dismembered and the residence was covered in blood,” Guidry said.

Investigators believe Diaz was killed with a kitchen knife, which was later recovered by authorities.

Discus remained on the scene when deputies arrived, and although he didn’t say anything at the time, Guidry said he later confessed to killing his wife at the sheriff’s office.

“The husband was interviewed and gave a full confession, admitting to the murder of his wife,” authorities said in a statement.

Guidry said the motive for the killing is “still under investigation.”

The young couple had gotten married just a few months ago, in October of 2022.

Waller County Judge Trey Duhon posted a photo of the smiling couple after the nuptials but took the image down after the murder.

“Out of respect for the families, I have taken down my photo with the couple and the post announcing their marriage, primarily due to the insensitive nature of some comments that were being made on that post,” he announced on Facebook.

During his brief interaction with the couple, Duhon said he found the pair to be “a very nice young couple.”

“As with many of you, I’m greatly saddened and shocked by the news of this tragic event and my prayers are with all of their families,” he wrote.

Diaz’s friends told Houston station KHOU that the 21-year-old, who they described as always smiling and happy, had come to the United States from Nicaragua. She was working two jobs to help pay for her mom’s cancer treatment at the time of her death.

Her boss Veronica Jimenez told the news outlet that she is now wondering if there were signs of trouble in the relationship.

“She was happy, very happy with her husband,” she said. “But there were days when she was different. She was tired but I wasn’t sure if she was tired because of her job or because of her relationship.”

On the day of her death, surveillance footage taken from outside her workplace appeared to show Dicus driving into the parking lot of the store around 11:40 a.m. He walked into the store and grabbed a beer without paying and then drove away, the station reports.

Giudry said there had been prior disturbance calls at the property where the couple lived, but “nothing to this effect and to this level of violence.” It was also not clear whether the calls had involved Dicus or other family members living at the property.

In a message on Facebook, Diaz’s aunt Idis Diaz said she was “totally loved by her family” and had “an incredible energy.”

Dicus, who is now facing charges of murder, is being held at the Waller County Jail no a $500,000 bond, KTRK reports.

Read more about: