Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
Two-Time Oscar Winner Kevin Spacey Pleads Not Guilty In London To Sexual Assault Charges
A trial has been set for June 6, 2023. Kevin Spacey remains free on unconditional bail until then.
Actor Kevin Spacey has pleaded not guilty in London to sexually assaulting three men and is expected to face trial next year.
The “House of Cards” actor entered the plea Thursday at London’s Central Criminal Court, commonly known as Old Bailey, according to The Associated Press.
The 62-year-old, who donned a light blue suit, navy tie and glasses, confidently and clearly replied “not guilty” to all five charges against him as he sat alone in a dock during the brief legal proceedings, per The Hollywood Reporter.
Judge Mark Wall set a trial date of June 6, 2023 and opted to continue the two-time Oscar winner’s unconditional bail.
Spacey was charged in May with four counts of sexual assault against three different men for incidents allegedly occurring between March 2005 and April 2013, the same time frame he had been serving as the artistic director for London’s Old Vic theater.
A fifth charge of engaging in penetrative sexual activity without consent was also authorized by the Crown Prosecution Service.
Metropolitan Police previously described the victims as men who are now in their 30s and 40s.
Three of the incidents were said to have occurred in London, while the fourth allegedly took place in April of 2013 in Gloucestershire.
Spacey’s attorney has said the “House of Cards” actor “strenuously denies” the allegations against him.
Additionally, Spacey proclaimed his innocence himself in a previous statement to “Good Morning America.”
"I very much appreciate the Crown Prosecution Service's statement in which they carefully reminded the media and the public that I am entitled to a fair trial, and innocent until proven otherwise,” he said at the time. “While I am disappointed with their decision to move forward, I will voluntarily appear in the U.K. as soon as can be arranged and defend myself against these charges, which I am confident will prove my innocence."
Spacey won Oscars for his roles in “The Usual Suspects” and “American Beauty” and had been starring in the critically acclaimed Netflix series “House of Cards” when the first allegations of sexual assault surfaced against him in 2017.
Fellow actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of sexually assaulting him as a teenager at a party in the 1980s—accusations which Spacey has denied.
Rapp has sued Spacey in ongoing civil proceedings as a result of the allegations.
As a result of the public accusations, Spacey was fired from “House of Cards” and the show continued in his absence.