Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News

Infant Twin Safely Returned Following High-Profile Abduction Dies In Reported Accident

Police in Columbus confirmed the death of infant Ky'Air Thomas, who, alongside his twin brother, was abducted in an alleged Christmastime carjacking. 

By Jax Miller
5 Kidnapped Teens Who Escaped Their Abductors

A family is grieving after a months-old infant died, just weeks after he and his twin brother were rescued in a high-profile abduction.

Ky'air Thomas, just 6 months old, passed away Saturday evening in what loved ones say was a feeding accident, according to ABC Columbus, Ohio affiliate WSYX. The infant’s tragic death comes just weeks after a homeless woman allegedly carjacked a vehicle — with twin brothers Ky’air and Kason Thomas still inside — on Dec. 19, prompting a state-wide Amber Alert and a multi-state search.

The twins’ mother, Wilhelmina Thomas, left the 2010 Honda Accord running while she quickly ran into Donato’s Pizza at around 9:45 p.m. to pick up a DoorDash order.

Ky’air was found the following day on Dec. 20, safely secured in his car seat at the Dayton International Airport’s parking lot, about an hour’s drive from Columbus. Kason Thomas was found safe with the stolen vehicle at an Indianapolis Papa John’s two days later.

RELATED: State Officials Confirm Human Remains Belong To Missing Oklahoma Child Athena Brownfield

Nalah Jackson, 24, pleaded guilty to charges related to her Dec. 23 arrest but still faces state and federal charges, according to the Columbus outlet.

Loved ones delighted in the boys’ safe return.

But on Saturday, baby Ky’air was transported to Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus after first responders arrived at the family’s East Whittier Street residence at 10:54 p.m. He was pronounced dead at the hospital less than an hour later.

Abducted twins Kason and Kyair Thomass

Wilma Booker — the aunt of the twins’ mother, Wilhelmina — contacted WSYX reporters, describing a “sense of shock” and explaining the grieving mother was “doing really bad right now.”

Booker offered her indirect knowledge of what happened to Ky’Air.

“While I wasn’t exactly right there when it happened, my kids were there,” Booker stated. “Momo [Wilhelmina] was feeding the babies, and one of them started choking on the milk, and that’s what happened."

Booker said the mother “immediately called 911” and began giving the infant chest compressions and CPR.

“It was just like an accident that happened from feeding the babies, and that was it,” Booker continued.

On Monday, Columbus Police confirmed Ky’air’s death, telling WSYX the case was “currently a death investigation pending autopsy.”

The Franklin County Coroner’s Office said they would not be releasing a preliminary report but confirmed a postmortem examination was performed on Monday.

So far, a cause of death has not been made public.

The twins’ grandmother released a statement following the boy’s tragic passing.

“Tonight, we are living a nightmare with the community for a second time in less than a month,” said the grieving woman. “I’m questioning God, ‘Lord, why Ky’air?’ None of this seems real!"

“I’m begging the community again to have some compassion and empathy while lifting up our family, Kason, and his mother, Wilhelmina, LaChez, my son, and the twins’ father in prayer,” the grandmother continued.

While the investigation into Ky’Air’s death continues, Booker expressed fears that the child’s mother would receive unfair judgment. She claimed people on social media mistreated Wilhelmina when the twins were kidnapped around Christmastime.

“I just want people to know that Momo is a really good mom,” said Booker. “She loves her babies. I don’t want people to judge her like they did last time."

The investigation into Ky’air’s untimely passing is ongoing.