Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
California Detectives ‘Working Around The Clock’ To Catch Potential Serial Killer Targeting Men
Law enforcement officials in Stockton say five men were shot to death while alone in poorly lit areas in the northern part of the city. So far, police are stumped about a possible motive behind the attacks.
Authorities in California are seeking the public’s help finding a potential serial killer hunting male targets.
Police believe they have a person of interest in the separate shootings of five men since July, according to the Stockton Police Department. On Friday, police chief Stanley McFadden announced that investigators had reviewed “many hours” of surveillance footage pertaining to the suspect and promised to keep the public informed as the investigation continues.
“I know there are many sources out there that are talking about this investigation,” McFadden stated. “With that, misinformation has been spread. As this investigation moves forward, I will provide timely and verified information to you, keeping in mind safety and the needs of the investigation.”
Police issued a photo of a figure in dark-colored clothing believed to be the killer.
Police say they believe the “homicide cases are related” but declined to release the victims’ names. Investigators noted that the attacks occurred in the evening and early morning hours while the victims were alone in poorly lit areas.
Questions linger about a possible motive in the case, as investigators ruled out theories revolving around gangs, drugs, and robbery, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. Despite four of the five victims being Hispanic, police say there is also nothing to indicate they were targeted for their race, according to NBC Sacramento affiliate KCRA.
On July 8, police say a 35-year-old white male was shot to death just after 12:30 a.m. on Kermit Lane. He was transported to an area hospital, where he later succumbed to his injuries, police stated at the time.
The victim’s family has come forward to identify the man as Paul Alexander Yaw, who was unhoused when shot to death in the park, according to KCRA.
“This is my son, Paul, and he was a great man with a big heart,” his mother, Greta Bogrow, told KCRA. “He was my son, a father, a grandson, nephew, cousin, and brother who was loved by many. He has left a huge hole in our hearts, and I hope they catch the person(s) responsible before this happens again.”
On Aug. 11, more than a month after Yaw’s murder, a 43-year-old Hispanic man was shot to death on West Lane, about one mile away, at 9:49 p.m. Police said first responders attempted life-saving measures, but the victim ultimately died on the scene. According to KCRA, relatives also identified the man as husband and father Salvador William Dubedy Jr. of Stockton.
Dubedy’s wife, Analydia Lopez, told the outlet they’d been married more than 12 years, having known each other for nearly 30.
“To be honest with you, a part of me died that day,” said Lopez. “It’s been hard. It’s been really, really hard.”
Analydia Lopez told the outlet it “caused a lot of pain” to learn through social media that her husband’s murder might be linked to the others, claiming police hadn’t kept her nor her family adequately informed.
The third to die was a 21-year-old Hispanic male shot to death on E. Hammer Lane on Aug. 30, at 6:41 a.m. His identity has not been released.
On Sep. 21, a 52-year-old Hispanic man was shot to death at 4:47 a.m. on Manchester Avenue in the Lakeview District. His identity has also not been released.
The fifth and latest victim was another Hispanic male shot to death on Sep. 27 at 1:53 a.m. on Porter Avenue. According to KCRA, the victim was 54-year-old Lorenzo Lopez, found dead on the sidewalk.
“My mother and father were just heartbroken from this,” said the victim’s brother, Jerry Lopez. “That’s their first baby boy. And I know they have so many memories of him.”
Jerry Lopez told ABC Sacramento affiliate KXTV that he and Lorenzo were “like twins” and that Lorenzo was “at the wrong place at the wrong time at the wrong circumstance.”
Per the Chronicle, the murders occurred in a small cluster in Stockton’s north side near San Joaquin Delta College. Physical evidence found at each of the crime scenes linked them to one another, according to ABC News.
“Again, our detectives and task force have been working around the clock on these investigations,” per the police’s release on Facebook. “We are committed to protecting our community and solving these cases utilizing all the resources at our disposal, including YOU. We need YOUR help!!!!”
Police asked the community to “remain vigilant” and have “good situational awareness,” encouraging residents not to travel alone in unlit areas. They also reminded the public that the victims’ families are grieving and in need of closure.
An $85,000 reward has been established for information leading to an arrest. Anyone with information is urged to contact the Stockton Police Department on their new hotline at 1-209-937-8167, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or submit information anonymously to Stockton Crime Stoppers at 1-209-946-0600.