Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
Aaron Carter Says He’s Given Up Firearms And Is Getting Help Amid Feud With Brother
Aaron Carter has been making headlines during his feud with Nick Carter after Nick got a restraining order against the pop star.
Aaron Carter has reportedly surrendered his firearms to police and is seeking mental health treatment.
The former teen star, 31, has been embroiled in a very public feud with his brother, Backstreet Boy member Nick Carter, after Nick announced on social media earlier this month that he and Aaron’s twin sister, Angel, had both sought out restraining orders against Aaron after he allegedly confessed to having murderous thoughts.
Aaron, who denied the claims in a series of tweets, has since given up his guns — voluntarily — to police, he told TMZ on Wednesday. He has either sold all of his firearms or surrendered them to the proper authorities, he explained.
“Look, I sold all of my guns yesterday,” Aaron said, and showed the interviewer what appeared to be receipts proving his claim before confirming that he no longer keeps any guns in his home. However, when asked if he hopes to get his firearms back at some point in the future, he replied, “That’s no one’s business.”
“Because I will prevail,” he added.
Aaron’s mental health has continued to make headlines this month. Police performed a wellness check at his home two weeks ago with the intent of placing him under an involuntary psychiatric hold, but ultimately did not do so.
Aaron and Nick, 39, have been at odds after Nick released a public statement alleging that Aaron confessed to having thoughts of killing his pregnant wife, Lauren Kitt, and has also thought about killing babies, leading Nick to fear for his life, he reportedly explained in court documents requesting the temporary order.
“I need an injunction because I fear for my safety, the safety of my wife and children, and the safety of my wife's parents,” he wrote. “I am afraid he will listen to the voices in his head and cause harm to my family.”
A judge approved the request, and ruled that Aaron keep at least 100 feet of distance between himself and Nick, as well as anyone in Nick's family, E! News reports.
But while Nick claimed that Aaron had “exhibited increasingly unstable behaviors,” the younger Carter brother has repeatedly denied it, and has said that he and his brother are “done for life” in the wake of the allegations.
“I am astounded at the accusations being made against me and I do not wish harm to anyone, especially my family,” he wrote in one tweet.
In another post, he denied having been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, despite his recent appearance on “The Doctors,” where he showed a bag of prescription medication and said that he’d been diagnosed with multiple personality disorder, schizophrenia, acute anxiety, and manic depression.
Speaking to TMZ on Wednesday, Aaron told the outlet that he is working with his “general practitioner” on treatment, and has thus far “tapered off of Xanax” over the last five days.
While he told the outlet that he was not interested in talking about his family and the recent, very public issues they’ve had, he went on to comment on the timing of the orders against him.
“At this point, I’ve done all I can do," he said, adding, "My brother got a restraining order against me a month and a half after he found out that I supposedly wanted to kill his [wife] … Why would you wait that long though, if that’s how you truly felt? No, you waited a month and a half to do that? When you felt like that, to actually file?”
“You would probably do that sooner, if you were smarter and that was actually, legitimately the case, you know?” he continued. “Like, I don’t even speak to Nick, and everybody knows that, like, the abuse that I’ve endured is apparent.”
Following news of the restraining order, Aaron accused his brother of taking legal action against him as retaliation for Aaron having contact with Melissa Schuman, a member of the former girl group Dream, who accused Nick of rape in 2017. That case was ultimately dismissed because the statute of limitations has run out, but Aaron has stood by his support of Schuman.
He has also accused his brother of having admitted to raping a 91-year-old woman, and has asked the FBI to compel his brother to take a lie detector test.