Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
Man Accused Of Throwing Boy From Mall Of America Balcony Due In Court
Emmanuel Aranda allegedly threw the boy 40 feet because he was upset that he was rejected by women at the same mall.
The man accused of throwing a 5-year-old boy from a third-floor balcony at the Mall of America is expected to appear in court for a hearing on Tuesday.
Emmanuel Aranda, 24, has been kept on $2 million bail at the Hennepin County jail since his alleged April attack at the mall.
He has been charged with attempted premeditated first-degree murder for allegedly pushing the 5-year-old boy off the balcony. The child fell around 40 feet and spent time fighting for his life in a Minneapolis hospital with head trauma and multiple broken bones.
Aranda didn't know the victim or his family.
The victim’s released a statement in late April saying he was doing better.
"Our son is now alert and conscious and is no longer in critical condition,” the boy’s family said in a statement released by their attorney, Stephen Tillitt. They added that his road to recovery “remains long” but “we are assured to make it through.”
The statement identifies the child only as Landon.
On Monday, the family said he continues to heal, the Associated Press reports.
Police say Aranda told them he went to the mall "looking for someone to kill" and chose the boy at random. A complaint, obtained by the Associated Press, points to perceived rejection by women as a possible motive.
"Defendant indicated he had been coming to the Mall for several years and had made efforts to talk to women in the Mall, but had been rejected, and the rejection caused him to lash out and be aggressive," the complaint said.
He has a history of violence at that particular mall.
According to court records, Aranda was involved in two previous incidents at the Mall of America in 2015. In at least one of those cases, he got in trouble for “throwing things off of the upper level of the mall to the lower level,” according to court documents obtained by CBS station WCCO.
He was convicted of fifth-degree assault and was banned from the Mall of America for a year following that incident. He was ordered to undergo psychological evaluation or treatment.
Paul Sellers, the public defender appointed to represent Aranda, said his client has been in mental health court before. He has urged the state legislature and those who are calling for aggressive retribution to focus on mental health issues.
Tuesday’s hearing is considered an omnibus hearing, which could cover discussion of a possible plea or the setting a trial date.
Crime News is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for Oxygen Insider for all the best true crime content.