Kevin Spacey Reportedly Questioned By British Investigators Over Multiple Sexual Assault Claims

Spacey is facing six separate sexual assault claims in the United Kingdom.

By Sharon Lynn Pruitt
Digital Original
Sexual Misconduct Allegations That Broke Open Hollywood

Investigators from Scotland Yard traveled to the United States earlier this year to question actor Kevin Spacey about six separate sexual assault claims, according to new reports.

The interview, which the 59-year-old Oscar-winner sat for of his own free will, was held in May and was part of an ongoing investigation, Variety reports.

“In May 2019, a man was voluntarily interviewed under caution in America, by officers from the Met’s Complex Case Team,” British authorities told the outlet. “He was not arrested. Inquiries are ongoing.”

The statement did not identify Spacey as the suspect, in accordance with local laws.

Scotland Yard, which is another name for the Metropolitan Police Force, have received six different complaints from six different men alleging that Spacey sexually assaulted them, Variety reports. The incidents are alleged to have taken place between the years of 1996 and 2013, but the first was not reported to the authorities until 2017.

Though the details regarding the six claims are unclear, one incident is alleged to have taken place in Westminster and another in Gloucester, while the remaining four are said to have occurred in London, People reports.

Kevin Spacey

Spacey, who has not been charged in the United Kingdom, lived in London for a number of years and served as the artistic director of London’s Old Vic theater between the years 2003 and 2015, according to Variety. But Spacey’s time there was seemingly not without drama; following an internal investigation, reps from the theater concluded in 2017 that 20 people had previously come forward with allegations against the actor, The New York Times reports.

In a report on their findings, the theater apologized for “not creating an environment or culture where people felt able to speak freely.” Spacey’s “stardom and status at the Old Vic may have prevented people, and in particular junior staff or young actors, from feeling that they could speak up or raise a hand for help,” they said.

It is currently unclear which allegation or allegations investigators questioned Spacey about, according to Variety. A legal representative for the actor did not respond to the outlet’s request for comment.

Spacey is currently facing sexual assault claims in the United States. The actor was accused of groping an 18-year-old man’s genitals at a bar in Nantucket, Massachusetts in 2016; though a civil lawsuit related to the alleged incident was dropped on Friday, Spacey is still facing criminal charges of indecent assault and battery. The actor, who pleaded not guilty in January, could face up to five years behind bars if convicted.

Related Stories

Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content. 

You May Also Like...
Recommended by Zergnet