A lawyer for one of the convicted killers at the centerpiece of Netflix's “Making a Murderer,” is once again accusing two people close to him of killing the woman he and his nephew are in jail for killing.
“Making a Murderer watchers, listen up,” Steven Avery’s post-conviction lawyer Kathleen Zellner posted on Twitter on Thursday afternoon. “I'm going to walk you through what I've learned through my investigation that you didn't see in the show.”
The first season of the show, released in 2015, raised questions about the convictions of Avery and Dassey, who were both sentenced to life in prison in 2007 for the death of photographer Teresa Halbach two years earlier. The documentary suggested that police might have planted evidence on Avery’s property, and that investigators took advantage of Brendan Dassey’s limited intellect in order to coax him into confessing.
During Thursday’s twitter storm, Zellner laid out her theory, which appears to accuse Brendan Dassey’s brother Bobby Dassey and the Dassey brothers’ step-dad Scott Tadych may have attacked Halbach together after Halbach left the property. Zellner put forth a motion in 2017 that claims to have evidence that supposedly puts Tadych and Bobby at the same location as Teresa Halbach during the last phone call she received before her death.
Here are her new tweets in numeric order:
1 . On 10/31/05, Scott Tadych visited Bobby at the Avery salvage yard (ASY) around noon.
2. After Teresa (TH) called the Dassey landline for directions, our suspect contacted her back with the Dassey address.
3. Teresa arrived at the ASY around 2:30–2:31 p.m. on 10/31/05. Only Bobby and Steven saw her. After completing her photo assignment, she left & turned West on Hwy 147 around 2:38 p.m. Our suspect followed her. Steven was in his trailer.
4. Our suspect gets TH to pull over. She opened her car's rear cargo door to retrieve her camera, was knocked to the ground and struck with an object.
5. TH was put in the rear cargo area of the RAV4 and driven back to ASY.
6. TH's RAV4 was spotted leaving the ASY with an unknown driver at 3:45 p.m.
7. RAV4 was left by the old dam West of Mishicot on 10/31/05.
8. 3 witnesses saw RAV4 up to 11/4/05, then it was gone.
9. Recent investigation shows the RAV4 battery died, so it was replaced in order to move the RAV4 to the ASY.
10. TH's body was burned in a burn barrel. Dassey burn barrel had human bones.
11. 60% of bones and 31 teeth missing
12. A witness smelled horrible odor of something burning in Manitowoc County gravel pit the evening of 10/31/05.
13. The Dassey garage was never luminoled or DNA tested. Bobby hung a deer in the Dassey garage on 11/4/05.
14. Sikikey note—Body burned at smelter 11/4/05, 3 a.m. Tadych worked the night shift at a smelter facility. His nickname: Skinny.
15. TH's electronics were not burned in Steven's burn barrel; they were burned in Dassey burn barrel.
16. Suspect knew Steven's finger re-bled on 11/3/05 because he observed it.
17. Suspect had access to Steven's trailer to remove blood from the sink.
18. Only our suspect knew the blood in the sink was Steven's and not TH's (this rules out the police).
19. Suspect planted blood in RAV4, bones in Steven's burn pit, and TH's electronics in Steven's burn barrel.
"In conclusion, the killer is the person who had the access and opportunity to plant Steven Avery's fresh blood in Teresa Halbach's car," she wrote.
Zellner said she also thinks she has a motive for the killing, “It was a rage killing motivated by rejection.”
She said her team has interviewed witnesses and that “Bobby's story is inconsistent as to when he hung the deer, making it highly suspicious that he had an ulterior motive for hanging it.”
During the second season of “Making a Murderer,” Zellner said “Bobby Dassey was lying,” adding that he was a star witness for the prosecution during Avery’s trial. She said she obtained an affidavit from another Dassey brother, Bryan Dassey, which claims Bobby told him that he saw Halbach leave Avery’s property.
That contradicts Bobby's original testimony, in which he claims he saw her walking towards his uncle’s home.
“Perhaps he was pressured into that with threats of prosecution,” Zellner tweeted.
Zellner also claimed there is evidence that shows Bobby downloaded violent porn, some of which included decapitated women.
“We have found thousands and thousands of images that could only have been accessed by Bobby Dassey,” she said. She showed a document from her investigation team that showed he made internet searches like “11 year old sex,” “rotten girl,” “gun to head,” and “f--- preteen girl.”
“Torture, bondage, pedophilia, nightmare stuff,” she said. “Fascination with death … decapitated girls, things like that. I mean, this is astounding.”
He has a history of violence, including being convicted of a misdemeanor battery charge in 1997, according to online court records. Child abuse charges were originally filed against him regarding that case, but were later dismissed. Tadych is also an avid deer hunter, as made evident both by the series and by the photos on his Facebook. According to Zellner’s theory, a deer hunter would make sense as a culprit behind Halbach’s murder because deer hunters know how to dismember a body, as Halbach’s was.
Zellner put forth a motion in 2017 that claims to have evidence that supposedly puts Tadych and Bobby at the same location as Teresa Halbach during the last phone call she received before her death.
Tadych, who has adamantly denied having anything to do with Halbach’s death, has reacted to these allegations with rage.
In a phone call between Avery and Barb Tadych, the Dassey brothers’ mom, shown in Episode 10, "Trust No One," Scott Tadych can be heard in the background and he has quite a temper. He denies having anything to do with the photographer’s death and says, “F___ Steven Avery. He is a piece of s___. He’s been all his f___ing life. … I wasn’t even on that f___ing property that day, you goddamn idiot.”
He then threatened to kick Avery’s ass.
That’s not the only time he’s gotten aggressive. Zellner tweeted out a screenshot of a Facebook post on Oct. 23 allegedly authored by Tadych in which he wrote, “I would like to take a minute of my time from reading all these nasty emails and messages to thank Kathleen Zellner for all false accusations against me and my stepson Bobby. And for ruining our lives I think your a f____en c___ thank you and have a good day."
Along with that post, Zellner added the caption, “Why would anyone think this 'prince' of a fellow would be angry enough to hurt a woman?”
[Photo: Getty Images]
Searching for the best true crime podcasts? Subscribe to Martinis & Murder and join hosts Daryn Carp and John Thrasher as they chat about creepy crimes and unsolved mysteries... while sipping on killer drinks from our murderous mixologist Matt the Bartender. Each episode will focus on a new true crime, with all the gory details, and a cocktail recipe to get you through.