MMA Star Conor McGregor Sued For Allegedly Stealing Fan’s Phone And Then Stomping On It

The fan whose phone Conor McGregor allegedly destroyed is seeking $15,000 from the fighter.

By Sharon Lynn Pruitt
UFC star Conor McGregor seen here in his booking photo, taken on March 11, 2019

Days after getting arrested for allegedly stealing and destroying a fan’s phone, famed mixed martial artist Conor McGregor is now facing a private lawsuit over the same incident.

The alleged victim, 22-year-old Ahmed Abdirzak, filed a lawsuit on Thursday, accusing McGregor of battery, assault and intentional infliction of emotional distress and seeking more than $15,000, according to court documents filed in Maimi-Dade county and obtained by the Associated Press.

McGregor’s attorney referred to the lawsuit as “a quick effort seeking a payday,” according to the outlet.

Police took McGregor into custody early Monday morning after they received a report that McGregor had gotten into a confrontation with a fan outside of a Miami, Florida hotel. Police say that the 30-year-old Ultimate Fighting Championship star spotted a fan trying to take a picture of him as he was leaving the hotel, and that’s when the confrontation occurred.

Abdirzak told TMZ that McGregor pretended that he wanted to shake his hand in order to get close enough to snatch his phone. He claimed in his suit that McGregor “flew into a rage” before “punching” the phone out of his hand and destroying it by “stomping on the phone repeatedly,” TMZ reports. When Abdirzak tried to get his phone back, McGregor laughed and said, “F--k you!’ according to the suit.

In footage of the brief confrontation posted by TMZ, MeGregor can be seen stomping on the phone as someone, presumably Abdirzak, pleads, “Let me get my phone, man.”

Authorities later caught up with McGregor at a private residence and arrested him for felony strong-armed robbery and criminal mischief, the Associated Press reports. He was released from the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center Monday night after posting $12,500 bond, according to the outlet.

McGregor’s attorney, Samuel J. Rabin Jr., described the altercation as “minor” in a statement to the Associated Press.

“Mr. McGregor appreciates the response of law enforcement and pledges his full cooperation,” he said.

McGregor, a native of Dublin, Ireland, was involved in another violent incident just last year. A judge sentenced him to community service and anger management classes in July after he and others attacked a bus full of UFC stars in April.

Related Stories

Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content. 

You May Also Like...
Recommended by Zergnet