Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News

'You Just Have To Do It': All The Texts Michelle Carter Sent To Conrad Roy Pushing Him To Suicide

Michelle Carter was sent to prison for urging her boyfriend, Conrad Roy III, to take his life over and over in the hours before he died by suicide.

By Gina Tron
The Michelle Carter Case Explained

On July 13, 2014 the body of 18-year-old Conrad Roy III was found inside a pickup truck at a Massachusetts K-Mart parking lot. There was no sign of foul play — Roy had died by suicide. But within a few years, someone would be blamed for his death and sent to prison, despite the fact she was physically nowhere near him when he died: his apparent girlfriend, Michelle Carter.

Carter and Roy met in 2012 while both visiting relatives in Florida, according to Esquire. They hit it off and stayed in touch. Over the course of those two years, Carter and Roy only met up about five times in person, but exchanged thousands of texts, according to the new HBO documentary "I Love You, Now Die:The Commonwealth v. Michelle Carter.” Many of these texts were extremely disturbing: Roy shared his suicidal thoughts to Carter, and while she initially advised he get help, she eventually started vigorously insisting he kill himself, claiming it was the right move for him.

The hours before Roy’s death contained the most disturbing messages. Here’s a timeline of those events:

July 11

Carter and Roy debated what’s better to use for a suicide death inside Roy’s pickup: a generator or a water pump, according to texts obtained by CNN.

"Well in my opinion, I think u should do the generator because I don't know much about the pump and with a generator u can't fail,” Carter texted him.

July 11 into the early morning hours of July 12

"I'm just to sensitive [sic],” Roy said. “I want my family to know there was nothing they could do. I am entrapped in my own thoughts."

"I think your parents know you're in a really bad place,” Carter told him. “Im not saying they want you to do it, but I honestly feel like they can accept it. They know there's nothing they can do, they've tried helping, everyone's tried. But there's a point that comes where there isn't anything anyone can do to save you, not even yourself, and you've hit that point and I think your parents know you've hit that point. You said you're mom saw a suicide thing on your computer and she didn't say anything. I think she knows it's on your mind and she's prepared for it."

She went on to insist, “Everyone will be sad for a while, but they will get over it and move on. They won't be in depression I won't let that happen. They know how sad you are and they know that you're doing this to be happy, and I think they will understand and accept it. They'll always carry u in their hearts."

He then asked her to please be there for his family, but Roy was soon expressing doubts: He told her he was “freaking out” and “overthinking” taking his life.

Carter then texted back, "I thought you wanted to do this. The time is right and you're ready, you just need to do it! You can't keep living this way. You just need to do it like you did last time and not think about it and just do it babe. You can't keep doing this every day."

He expressed concern about his family again.

"Conrad,” Carter wrote, “I told you I'll take care of them. Everyone will take care of them to make sure they won't be alone and people will help them get thru it. We talked about this, they will be okay and accept it. People who commit suicide don't think this much and they just do it."

July 12

9:03 a.m. (as shown in “I Love You, Now Die”)

“Are you awake?” Carter texted Roy. He replied affirmatively.

“Are you gonna do it today?” she asked him.

He said yes before they discussed what time would be best.

9:45 a.m.

Roy continued to express his misery and doubts, texting her, “idk [I don’t know] why I’m like this.”

"Sometimes things happen and we never have the answers why,” Carter offered as advice.

He said he was hesitant to which Carter responded, "You're so hesitant because you keep overthinking it and pushing it off. You just need to do it Conrad. The more you push it off, the more it will eat at you.”

“You're right [sic],” he replied.

Carter went on to insist, "If you want it as bad as you say you do its [sic] time to do it today."

He then thanked her for being there for him. She responded, "I would never leave you, you're the love of my life, my boyfriend. You're my heart, I'd never leave you."

At some point that day, Roy told Conrad he would do it eventually, according to CNN.

"I really don't know what I'm waiting for,” he texted her. “But I have everything lined up.”

“No, you're not, Conrad,” Carter stated. “Last night was it. You keep pushing it off and you say you'll do it but u never do. Its always gonna be that way if u don't take action... You're just making it harder on yourself by pushing it off, you just have to do it."

She then sent the following texts:

"And u can say you'll do it tomorrow but you probably won't"

"You just need to do it Conrad or I'm gonna get you help"

"You can't keep doing this everyday."

Roy told her he would do it. Carter asked “Do you promise” and he said he promised.

"And u can't break a promise,” Carter wrote. “And just go in a quiet parking lot or something."

5:00 p.m.

Carter texted him and asked, “Are you gonna do it now?”

He told her he was stressing out.

"You're fine, it's gonna be okay. You just gotta do it babe, you can't think about it,” Carter wrote.

6:19 p.m.

“Are you gonna do it now,” Carter asked yet again.

He said he was leaving the house.

6:28 p.m.

Roy called Carter and they spoke for almost 43 minutes.  

 7:12 p.m.

According to call logs obtained by "I Love You, Now Die" they spoke for another 47 minutes. 

That was the last phone call Roy ever made.

Carter would later text a friend and tell her Roy had told her he had doubts and was getting out of the car, but she told him to get back in.

July 13

Roy’s body was found inside the truck at the Kmart parking lot.

After a tumultuous trial, Carter was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and was sentenced to two and a half years prison time on August 3, 2017. She was ordered to begin serving her 15-month sentence in February after the state Supreme Court refused to overturn the conviction.

Carter appealed the decision to the United States Supreme Court earlier this month.

Read more about: