Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
The month of September is almost over, which means it's time to discuss the latest entry in Oxygen Book Club, which highlights books in the true crime sphere each month and features exclusive interviews, guided discussions, and more.
In September, Oxygen Book Club read "The Missing Hours" by Julia Dahl, which is a fictional novel about a teenager, Claudia Castro, who seemingly disappears after she was raped while drunk and had the assault videotaped. The horrific event has severe ramifications, not just for Claudia, but for her friends, family, and the aggressors themselves. "The Missing Hours" is a deep dive into privilege, revenge, sexual trauma, and the way assaults affect everyone around them. This dark, layered thriller will totally immerse you.
So, once you've finished reading the book yourself, consider examining these discussion questions with your friends:
1. Claudia is from an immensely wealthy family. How did her access to funds impact her case?
2. Claudia's sister is livid when she misses the birth of her baby. Was her sister's anger well-placed? Should she have reached out sooner, or did Claudia owe her an actual apology?
3. Why do you think Claudia withdrew completely from friends and family following the assault?
4. What did Claudia see in Tyler? What did Tyler see in her?
5. Was Tyler right that revenge wouldn't satisfy Claudia?
6. What did the mention of Claudia appearing on a reality show have to do with the story?
7. Did the multiple narrators work for you? Why or why not?
8. What do you think the title of the book refers to? Does it have multiple meanings?
9. Was Claudia a bad friend to Tyler, or was he asking for too much?
10. Did the ending work for you, or did you think Claudia's rapist both needed to be punished more? What do you think happens next?
And if you have more thoughts let us know! Use the hashtag #oxygenbookclub to keep the discussion going on social media.
Get all your true crime news from Oxygen. Coverage of the latest true crime stories and famous cases explained, as well as the best TV shows, movies and podcasts in the genre. Sign up for Oxygen Insider for all the best true crime content.